If you're not going you totally should, because all the Smits of the world will be there summiting, me included. We'll also be talking about lots of important stuff, including:
9) E-bikes and Trail Access: Electric-assist bicycles are a fast-growing category. This discussion will examine the evolving management strategies and best practices for e-bikes on natural surface trails. Facilitated by IMBA Executive Director Mike Van Abel. Confirmed speakers include: Randy Neufeld, SRAM; Larry Pizzi, Currie Technologies; Samuel Benedict, Specialized; Zach Krapfl, GSD-Global; Mike Van Abel, IMBA.
So what do you think? Should e-bikes be allowed on trails? [Hint: the correct answer is NO!!!]
We'll also talk about:
10) Fat Bikes and Trail Access: Considered a fad just a few years ago, fat bikes have emerged as a meaningful trend in bicycling with application to winter sports, sand sports and backcountry travel. The go-everywhere capability of fat bikes has inspired discussions about how to best manage their use at Nordic facilities, multi-use trails and public beaches. Facilitated by IMBA Upper Midwest Region Director Hansi Johnson. Invited speakers include Gary Sjoquist (QBP/Salsa), Jake Hawkes (Grand Targhee Resort), others TBA.
So what do you think? Should fat bikes be allowed on beaches and stuff? [Hint: the correct answer is NO!!! It's enough with the goddamn "fat bikes" already. Mountain bikes were already plenty fat, your bloated tank is just annoying. Also, if you need to ride a bike at the beach then get a beach cruiser and use the boardwalk.]
I'm glad I was able to clear that up. Now you know why they invited me.
In other mountain bike news, remember the guy who won a race because he was wearing my hat?
(Skill had nothing to do with it, it was totally the hat.)
Well, he's written a review of said hat, and it shouldn't surprise you at all to learn that it is awesome:
You see, I am a heavy sweater (a person who sweats a lot, not a dense garment used to stay warm)
and as I had explained in the previous blog, I find it hard to wear caps while riding in the warmer months without wanting to rip it from my head mid-ride. The first time I tried a Walz cap I was mostly impressed by the wicking fabric that they use in the head band area. Keeping the sweat off of my face soon became easier with their caps than with others I have tried.
This particular cap, is all wicking material. It is the lightest, most airy cap I have ever worn.
This is one hundred percent true. I too have a hair trigger when it comes to sweating, and this hat is like having angels fan my brow and massage my scalp as I ride. In fact, the other day I was so sure that's what was happening that I attempted to capture the Sweat Angels on "film:"
However, they darted out of the frame just as I pressed the button, and then one of them got stuck in my rear brake and let out a little squeal as its creepy little insect leg was torn off:
So if you see Hoppy the One-Legged Sweat Angel, please tell it I'm sorry.
And also BUY A HAT:
And now, I'm pleased to present you with a quiz. As always, study the item, think, and click on your answer. If your wright good for you, and if you're not you'll see a fat recumbent.
Thanks very much for reading, ride safe, and watch out for Sweat Angels.
--Wildcat Rock Machine
1) "HMFIC" stands for:
--"Head Mother Fucker In Charge"
--"Head Massive Fred In Charge"
--"Helments May Fail In Crashes"
--"Hear My Farts In Cans"
(The coveted maillot AARP.)
2) The oldest rider in the Tour de France is:
3) The owner of this bike would like to trade it for a:
4) The owner of this bike would like to trade it for a:
[Via Klaus of Cycling Inquisition]
5) The short film "How to Survive as a Bike Messenger in NYC" should have been called "How Not to Carry a Pizza."
6) In the companion piece to this signed Robert Mapplethorpe photograph, the same models roll around naked in a giant pizza.
7) Someone on Kickstarter wants £4,000 to:
--Make a macaroni salad
--Win the Single Speed World Championships
--Launch a new line of artisanal chamois cream
--Blog about putting his fat bike together
***Special Some-Guy-Pretending-To-Be-Interested-In-Bicycles-Themed Bonus Video!***