(Columbo recovers the goods--image by Hjulcompaniet)
As the riders in the Tour of California prepare to test their legs in the time trial, I invite you to test your mental acuity by taking a quiz. This quiz consists almost entirely of items forwarded by readers. As always, study the item, think carefully, and click on your answer. If you're right you'll know it, and if you're wrong you'll see this video, which not only takes used bike salesmanship to a new level but also has a soundtrack that implies the bicycle might have a "surprise" in store for the purchaser.
Good luck, thanks for reading, and ride safe this weekend.
1) Who designed this coaster brake hub with cooling fins?
--Oso Bike owner Shane Stock
--Rivendell owner Grant Petersen
2) What pop singer rocks/runs/rubs/rolls this track bike-inspired singlespeed in a Diet Coke commercial?
3) Luxury cycling clothing maker Rapha is now offering a $3,500 three-piece cycling suit.
4) What is a "Mancebo Mullet?"
--A popular Spanish hairstyle
--Clincher in the front, tubular in the rear
--Wiskey with a sangria back
--Another term for assless cycling tights
5) At which clothing chain can you purchase these cycling caps, photographed by a reader?
6) What are these riders doing?
--Leaving chalk trails with a device attached to their seat tubes
--Riding in a new bike lane in Portland designed by Japanese pop artist Yoshimoto Nara
--Following a trail of hipster dandruff
--Shedding paint due to using brakes on their cheap Velocity Deep V knockoffs
7) What is this?
--A portable ding remover
--An iron for your car
--A hand-held skitching aid
--An automotive defibrillator
8) The "Snuggie Pub Crawl" will take place tonight in which trendy neighborhood?
--The Mission District, San Francisco
--Silverlake, Los Angeles
--Wicker Park, Chicago
9) What slogan is this p-far rider spraypainting?
--"Chester A. Arthur for President"
--"Direct Drive Forever"
--"All You Haters Suck My Monocle"
--"Ginormous front-wheel cycling is not a crime!"
***Special Audio Daily Double!!!***
This is the sound of:
--A rider dismounting a Softride suspension beam
--A male Y-Foil spotting a female Y-Foil
--A fixter's overly-tensioned chain being plucked
--All of the above