Tuesday, February 26, 2019

(Eroica) California Dreamin'

In yesterday's post, I described life (cycling and otherwise) in New York City, and how overall it's pretty good.  However, there are certainly other locales I find beguiling, and one of them is California.  In fact, that's where I was last week on my family vacation, and the sun must have done a number on me because I didn't go anywhere near a bike the whole time and I didn't even really mind.

Sadly, it's highly unlikely I'd ever relocate to California, unless of course I finally sell my screenplay for a Dimitry Fofonov biopic and attach Steve Carell to star:



But fortunately it looks like I'll be headed back out there soon, and I'll also get to ride this time, because look what's coming up in April:


Yes, that's right, I'm riding Eroica California again, which makes me very happy indeed, because last year's ride was positively sublime:


Even though I did the vintage ride on a bike so old I needed to get a tetanus shot first:


And even though I'm so sickly white that I got a nasty sunburn due to misapplied sunscreen, which you can make out on my legs in this photo if you can stand to look at them:


(Photo courtesy of @ultraromance)

Speaking of "eeew":


(What SPF you running?)

Anyway, this year's ride is in Cambria, in the shadow of Hearst Castle, which is all right by me, and not just because the only physical difference between me and the seals that live there is a pair of sweaty bib shorts:


On Saturday I'll do the NOVA ride, which is for modern-day road and gravel-type bicycles:


Then on Sunday I'll do the Eroica Classic on an appropriate vintage machine.

Then, when I'm done, I'll give away both my bikes before I head home (details to follow in a future post), which means you now have one more reason (or I guess technically two more reasons) to do Eroica California this year: a free bike from a semi-professional bike blogger who can't be bothered to take his toys back home with him!

Best of all, I'm gonna rent another minivan!!!


(No, I won't give you a lift to the airport.)

I can't wait.

29 comments:

hellbelly said...

Win a tetanus-laden old bike from BSNYC? Real winning and podium!

UniDan said...

!

UniDan said...

early bird

leroy said...

I dunno.

I was in LA the weekend before last and it was cold and rainy and all I brought home was a stomach bug.

On a positive note, I discovered a great weight loss program and my dog assures me that next trip, he’ll let me pick the dining establishments.

He also says I’m a natural for an Eroica because I can make any bike look old.

Anonymous said...

Tan Tenovo, I heartily recommend the Hearst Castle visit. I know it takes half a day, it's touristy, and they don't talk about the lurid stuff that went on there; but it's still fun and interesting in a Frankenstein kind of way.

Also, West side Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandels are some of the best wines in the world, and still reasonably priced. Take the old lady back out to Cali with you and do a couple days wine tasting with her. She drives the mini-van and you ride your bike between wineries!

HDEB said...

BSNYC is a brave man for repeatedly posting that photo of him in that bib outside the restroom. I prefer ski bibs to bicycle bibs this time of year, either way peeing is a task.

Anonymous said...

While my travels through northern california have taken me through san simeon, the "highlight" of what I missed may be the forestiere underground gardens in Fresno.

Anonymous said...

The thing about California Dreamin' is, anytime anyone says any sentence of the format, "All the ____ are ____" (example: "All the dishes are done") I can't help but Tourettishly start singing "AND THE SKYYY IS GRAAAAY..."

I am sort of an asshole.

streepo said...

Can I get a lift to the airport?

Grump said...

When you are at the Hearst Castle, say Hi to Rosebud for me.

Anonymous said...

Fofonov...hehe

Steve Barner said...

The California Eroica will put you on track to be in shape for the much lower key, but more difficult 200-on-100 in June. http://100-200.org. It's lots closer to NYC, to boot!

BikeSnobNYC said...

Anonymous 10:27am,

I've done the Hearst Castle tour three times in my life if you can believe it.

My brother was managing a restaurant in St. Helena for a few years so we've gotten some good California wine country food and drink action in the past but yes, one day a more leisurely and indulgent trip is in order.

--Tan Tenovo

Hee Haw Flee's barista said...

Californivacation

wishiwasmerckx said...

Tan, check their website.

I think that if you tour three times, the fourth tour is free.

Anonymous said...

-"THE BEAUTY OF FATIGUE" -
The slogan at the bottom of that "Nova Eroica" poster reads:
"The beauty of fatigue and the thrill of conquest",
the first half of which is apt for this blog.

pbateman worked for hearst for years and didn't get no stinking gold covered pool said...

the most important thing to do out that way is go have lunch at the post ranch inn.

hearst < biltmore

very much super duper excited to hear which lovely (or possibly shitty since you're just gonna up and give it away) vintage bikey you'll be on.

hope its a raleigh.

bad boy of the south said...

Nice VANS ya got there.just in case you do a little skateboarding I see.

BikeSnobNYC said...

pbateman...,

Have had lunch there too more than once I HAVE DONE ALL THE CALIFORNIA THINGS.

--Tan Tenovo

NHcycler said...

I'm surprised purple paint was available on bikes 100 years ago.

Wait...Ohhhh...

usr said...

Wow, Nova Eroica, not to be outdone by its vecchia counterpart in terms of bike rarity, seems to have attracted an example of the elusive left drive Super Record!

wishiwasmerckx said...

I don't know whether I am dyslexic or just juvenile, but every time I see "Eroica" I read "Erotica."

Chazu said...

Speaking of Vanderbilt (the Biltmore); I saw an advertisement for an Associate Professor of Publishing (at the university, not the hotel).

Wait, it may be Belmont University that is looking for someone to teach Publishing. Either way, there is an opening for a Publishing professor at one of the two universities.

commie said...

I too made the mistake of registering for the L'Erotica ..it was more fun than riding up steep hills.

Anonymous said...

Eros is always better than Aero.

janine's said...

Can I make an unsponsored product plug? Riemann P20 sunscreen lasts for 8-10 hours (the packaging says 10; independent testing says 8-ish) and is water-proof for multiple swims, so it's my go-to for a long ride on a sunny day. I think the one-application-per-day label is a stretch for a cyclist having an "epic" summer day, but it beats the hell out of once every two hours. However, this stuff is serious. You have to let it sit for 15-20 minutes before going outside and, I don't know what improperly applied P@) will do to the Rapha-ish gear one would wear to a L'Eroica. I have two jerseys: a Chinese knock-off Hello Kitty jersey and a Cookie Monster Jersey that says "Ride Bike! Eat Cookie!" Neither made from he finest wool. (The latter jersey is pretty neat https://www.ecyclingstore.com/women-s-clothing/product/495-cookie-monster-ride-bike-eat-cookie-womens-cycling-jersey; the former jersey seems to be woven out of semi-transparent asbestos.)

pbateman sells she seal oil by the sea shore said...

Seal oil is ideal for vintage chains and for quieting squeaky bottom brackets. A vintage frame pump works well as a club.

Also, didn't Renovo source the wood for their frames from around the Big Sur area? I hear those red woods are laterally stiff and vertically compliant as they come.




Unknown said...

https://wlos.com/news/local/cyclists-required-to-register-bikes-under-newly-filed-bill

JLRB said...

Californica is a big state - I've noly biked visiting a handful of places - the best of which

17 Mile

101 from Carlsbad to San Diego

Fort Ord