Friday, December 7, 2018

Retain This

When we last checked in on Project Singlespeed:


(The singlespeed in question)

I'd expressed misgivings about chain retention.  Specifically, for reasons I won't bother to reiterate I'd curated the drivetrain with a rear cog extracted from a used cassette, and after I dropped a chain on my first full-length test ride I worried that maybe this wasn't going to cut it.

Nevertheless, in the spirit of laziness, I increased tension on the chain and hoped that would do it.  Then, the next day, I took the bicycle on a more cyclocrossy-type ride:


And in 20-ish miles I dropped my chain twice:


Forced to acknowledge the admonishments of the naysayers, but still unwilling to spend a single red cent on this damn thing, I rolled up my sleeves and dug around in my vast spare component holdings--and wouldn't you know it, there was a brand-new unopened 9-speed chain which was just wide enough to accomodate the proper singlespeed cog I had originally intented to use.  So I installed everything and headed out on more or less the same ride, and I'm pleased to announce the bike has passed the chain retention test:


I've also got to say that even though I threw this together as quickly as possible I really like how it came out.  The brown-and-tan motif is befitting of my current moniker (that's Tan Tenovo to you), and besides the unsightly (that's pretentious for ugly as fuck) spacer stack I daresay it's a pretty classy ride.  Also, it happens to ride very nicely, and I attribute that to three (3) things:

1) It's a singlespeed and singlespeeds always feel nicer because they're light and quiet (until you find yourself over- or under-geared of course);

2) I haven't been riding a Cambium lately and I forgot how freaking comfy they are;

3) The tires, which just fell into my lap, happen to be really nice (or "supple" as you're supposed to say):


(Damn your precious aesthetics, I buy long-valve tubes because nothing's more annoying than realizing your valve's too short.)

Islabikes sent me these tires along with the Luath 24 they're now never getting back, and I really like them:


They're a good old-fashioned cyclocross tire and not those overpriced hybrid tires they sell as "gravel" tires nowadays.  Of course, being spoiled by the Jones and its sumptuous plus-sized tires I forgot how annoying it is when you hit a root or a pointy rock or something (which is easy to do at this time of year when the ground is covered with leaves), but otherwise they feel great, even on pavement.

So there you go, the bike should be ready for my upcoming singlespeed cyclocrossing event, and I may even keep riding it after said event for that matter.

Ride safe this weekend,

I love you,



--Tan Tenovo



27 comments:

Skidmark said...

Tan T. - you do good work.

Drock said...

Love the single speed, however sometimes I go to shift and there’s nothing there. Back to reality.

Anonymous said...

West Coast podium? Perhaps no comments can grovel to our most glorious blogmeister in a way that passes scrutiny.

bad boy of the south said...

As chico from "chico and the man" would say..."lookin'good.".

bad boy of the south said...

Oh,and apparently,no more interbike.film at 11.

Anonymous said...




"I love you,



--Tan Tenovo"


That's good to know, but do we have to love you back?

Seattle lone wolf said...

Is that spacer stack bad? Of so then my touring bike must be really messed up.

JLRB said...

"until you find yourself over- or under-geared of course"

Spot on.
Amen.
Have a great leafy weekend.
Wear a helment.
or not.

Willie Voltaire said...

Surly head tubes are too damn short -- I've got an embarrassing stack of spacers on mine, too. Still love the Crosscheck, though. >:(

wishiwasmerckx said...

No more Interbike because who the hell wants to go to Reno, NV?

You know who goes to Reno, NV?

Kidnap victims, that's who.

Nobody goes to Reno, NV. voluntarily.

Grump said...

Don't you have an old front derailleur sitting around that you can use as a chain keeper???

dop said...

It retains everything. And surely deserves a name.

tobeistobex said...

Hey, what pressure are you running?shhh

Anonymous said...

Now if you remove the superfluous rear brake, the frame will fold without pinching any cables.

bad boy of the south said...

Well,for 2019 anyways.

BikeSnobNYC said...

Gurmp,

Eeew.

Anonymous 7:25pm,

It has an inline brake cable coupler! I can break it down into two pieces for the run-ups!

--Tan Tenovo

Shy Anne said...

Know, understand, and embrace your spacer stack Grasshopper, this is the path you seek.

Anonymous said...

Which Cambium model are you riding?

Pist Off said...

Nice looking bike, with extra points for the fugly spacer stack to irritate trainspotters. Glad to hear the new shifty chain is staying put. I have a couple of scars from a skipped/jammed chain incident on a half-baked singlespeed.

ken e. said...

"three things i do know... love, love and love." -audrey hepburn via some disco sample. pretty applicable.

Die free said...

With the end of the year approaching... What is the tally on the resolution?

George Krpan said...

Bike Snob, have you noticed that the clutch derailleur on your Jones makes it nearly as quiet and smooth as a single speed?

Kilgore Trout said...

The spacer stack is there because it is, and it will always be there in this moment even if it is removed

der blaue Reiter said...

Tan, i agree about the looks of this bike, and i’m glad it’s comfortable to ride, but for god’s sake aren’t you going to mount a vulture skirt on the front wheel?!? I mean, i don’t pass judgement or yell at cyclists i see riding without an anti-critter fairing; that’s their business. But when i encounter a series of blog posts about assembling a bicycle for outdoor riding and it encourages folks not to mount a buzzard-blocker, well i call it stupid.

huskerdont said...

What valve length you running?

I have that aesthetic problem too because I don't wanna buy and carry and keep straight tubes with different lengths, and the fixie needs really long valves while the road bikes don't so they look funny. Prolly not aero either, someone will tell me some day.

Uptight Luddite said...

Telescoping valve stems, such an elegant solution to the three (3) most pressing first (1st) world problems: convience, aesthetics, and aerodynamics.

Phather said...

Honestly find the bike rather appealing. I’ve always wanted a bike with those sweet couplings. Colorway subtle ta’boot. Wonderful love letter to your bike Tan