Firstly, it gives me great pleasure to announce that the singular Erik K has produced an official graphic for The Great BSNYC/RTMS Fyxomatois Photo Parody Contest (presented by Boston Whaler Boats--The Unsinkable Legend). I'm sure you'll agree that this is nothing short of spectacular. While the sight of a pie plate-hating hyrax clutching a copy of "Pootie Tang" with a beaver by his side may be somewhat commonplace, it's rare that you also see him piloting half a Boston Whaler boat.
Moving on, it's time for a quiz. As usual, this quiz features both items that have been forwarded to me by readers as well as items I've been unfortunate enought to stumble upon by myself. Simply study the question, think, and click on your answer. If you're correct, you'll see the item. If you're wrong, you'll see part two of the A&E "Intervention" featuring former US Postal rider Chad Gerlach.
Good luck, and ride safe this weekend. Also, stay warm. (Unless you live in a warm climate, in which case I hope you're subject to an unseasonable cold spell.)
1) Which alternative weekly includes this BMTC (or "Backwards-Mounted Toe Clip") in its winter cycling tips?
--The New York Press
--The Seattle Stranger
--The Kansas City Pitch
2) You can find this FPP (or "Frontal Pie Plate") on:
3) You can currently obtain a modified 54cm Trek road frame on Craigslist in exchange for:
4) What is Eddy Merckx doing?
--Leaping out of the wearer's skin
--Falling into a pool of red Jell-O
--Retrieving a bouquet and trophy that had been lodged in the wearer's spleen
--This is a trick question and that's not Eddy Merckx at all. It's actually retired breakaway artist Jacky Durand dressed as Eddy Merckx.
5) This tattoo is still "in progress." How can you tell?
--It's all shiny
--The bars are only half-taped
--The tattoo has a brake, which will probably be removed once she's been wearing it for awhile
--All of the above
6) Riding outside is totally over:
7) Skaters and BMXers rejoice! Fixed-gear freestylers will no longer raid your parks. For 2009 it's going to be all about doing tricks:
--In empty pools
--On loading docks
8) According to Drew, his new LED Aerospokes are:
--"Blazin' and amazin'"
--"Hot to def"
--"Adding a bit of rotational inertia yet in the final analysis still worth it due to both the added safety factor and the fun novelty factor"
***Special Product-Related Bonus Question***
The "Empire State Courier" is:
1) A bike from Performance
2) The official publication of the New York State Covered Bridge Society
3) An eco-friendly private mail service that dispatches messengers on recumbent bicycles between New York City and Albany
4) Both #1 and #2
5) Both #1 and #3
6) None of the above (it's a malapropism of "Empire State Currier," a New York-based chain of Pakistani take-out restaurants)