Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Lazy and Shiftless

Good morning.

[Ahem.]

Yesterday I was on the radio because they haven't locked me out of the studio yet, and you can listen to that show here:


(They really should be wearing helmets.)

Of course the real reason I took the radio gig was because of the nearly 40 (!) mile round-trip bicycle commute to Brooklyn, which yesterday also served as something of a recovery ride since I did a mountain bike race on Sunday that kicked my ass:


I raced in the singlespeed category, and as you can see they staged the fat bike category before us.  (They like to keep the novelty bike doofuses together, you see.)  An aborted Central Park race the weekend before notwithstanding, it had been quite a few weeks since I'd raced a bicycle; moreover, it had been a good two years since I'd raced a mountain bike.  (I believe my last competitive outing was the so-called "Singlespeedapalooza" race in 2017.)  And on top of all that, this particular race starts with a lot of climbing, which meant that within minutes my face was bright purple and my heart was trying to eject itself from my throat.

Despite my distress, I was able to move up a bit, though as you might expect it's really hard to pass fat bikes on rooty climbs, especially when you're on a singlespeed bicycle.  See, the fat bike is all about taking advantage of a low gear and lots of traction, whereas the singlespeed is all about getting up that climb as fast as you possibly can so you don't lose momentum and fall over.  So basically, with a bunch of fat bikes ahead of you, it's like trying to sprint up the subway steps at rush hour.

Anyway, despite moving up I never really recovered from the effort, and by about halfway through the first lap the rest of the singlespeeds passed me and that was pretty much that.  Ultimately I did manage to finish in the top five, but I should probably disclose that the singlespeed field consisted of exactly five riders.  (Singlespeeds are totally out of style, remember?)  Even so, the race was well worth it, because signing up for a race ahead of time and paying a bunch of money is pretty much the only way I'll ever ride someplace different for a change.

Also there was beer after:


Also also, in addition to riding someplace different, racing is also pretty much the only situation in which I'll actually hose my bike down afterwards:


The politically incorrect plastic shopping bag is to protect the Brooks.

Finally, this past Friday I received a delivery from Classic Cycles:


Which went right onto my new-to-me Litespeed:


Now it's a "forever bike."

31 comments:

Watch and Camera Guy said...

Podium?

Serial Retrogrouch said...

...lob forbid laziness... and shiftiness

Anonymous said...

Really? Being the first one to post a comment is a thing?

Billy said...

No callers made the blog this time?

What was wrong with the old wheels on the Litespeed?

Dirk Montero said...

Current lifetime for my Forever Bikes is around 1-2 years. I'll check back after around that much time and see how the Litespeed is doing.

Dirk

streepo said...

Podium!

urchin said...

Have there already been offers to home your disgraced Ksyriums? Cuz I'll take 'em.

theEel said...

Weed!

Esteemed comment DaddoOne said...

oh - should I really be covering a brooks in the rain?
shouldn't a saddle be able to get wet?

wishiwasmerckx said...

Podium?

dancesonpedals said...

RTMS/Snob/TanTanovo

Good to see you enjoying something besides a plastic bike/Fred sled/di2/Strava bike

Colin said...

Seriously enjoy your radio show, Snob! I look forward to listening to it (in the archives) every Tuesday before I head to work.

BikeSnobNYC said...

Urchin,

Keeping them! Always good to have two sets of wheels.

Bill,

Nothing "wrong" with them, but the new ones will require much less regular attention. (I've already had to sort out some minor issues with the Ksyriums.)

--Tan Tenovo

Anonymous said...

Do you even have any ugly bikes left? IOJ cludge?

Anonymous said...

Been wondering what you were gonna rename this blog after you gave up on being snobby about bikes. Novelty bike doofus is perfect!

wishiwasmerckx said...

BSNYC, sorry to hear of your travails with your Mavic Ksyriums.

Mine have been bombproof.

I have never owned a wheelset which required less attention.

1904 Cadardi said...

Anon @11:45
You must be new here.

BikeSnobNYC said...

wishiwasmerckx,

Wouldn't say "travails." Had a creaking issue I eventually solved by lubing where the spokes enter the hub. But I find the idea of having to do that on a pair of wheels pretty ridiculous.

--Tan Tenovo

Anonymous said...

"Just a lazy shiftless bastard," as Alec Baldwin would say.

Yet not too lazy to bag the saddle while hosing the bike. Jeez did I just say two different euphemisms for masturbation? "He was 'bagging the saddle' if you know what I mean. He was 'cuffing the suspect.'"

Anyway I figure if a leather saddle can stand up to my salty ass-sweat with all its toxic booze-metabolites and so on, it can probably handle a little "plain water" just fine. Upon us all a little rain must fall. Does anybody remember laughter etc.

Anonymous said...

vsk said ...

I'm really going to need a set of tandem or motorcycle wheels at this point.

vsk

BamaPhred said...

Does jumping around on first one foot then the other, while contorting yourself to try and get into your bib shorts, fulfill the recommended stretching and warm up prior to cycling activities? Asking for a friend.

Wesley Bellairs said...

If you want to feel Nivarna try a cheap set of tubular wheels and some cheap tubies. Cuz like Pumpkin Pie, the worst tubular tires you've ever ridden aren't much different from the best.

Anonymous said...

helmets schmelmets *click*
is it too much to ask for, not to get killed by a driver?

NHcycler said...

Dirk Montero said...

"Current lifetime for my Forever Bikes is around 1-2 years."

Speak for yourself -- my main road bike is a 1999 Klein Quantum Race. I ride that thing everywhere, from the Vermont 200 on 100, to commuting. I do have a 2017 gravel bike, though. Doesn't everyone?

Speaking of Kleins, isn't that Klein Rascal you mentioned in the SS Mountain Bike Outside article the same make/model hanging in the Seinfeld set? Wouldn't it be awesome riding that retro bike today?!

Cuomobiker said...

Kudos on racing with a Brooks, not many people can say that. Last time I saw that was Joe Murray doing it in the 80's, with springs, no less!

Anonymous said...

How long do you keep a "forever" bike?

Anonymous said...

Finally got around to listening to Monday's radio show. Even better then the first 2, and this one featured two (2) female callers. Your appeal is broadening.

HDEB said...

The Engin is the coolest bike in Snobby's quiver!

JLRB said...

sprinting up the subway stairs at rush hour

well put

hellbelly said...

If you ever think about getting rid of the Engin find someone to give you a good slapping. Out of curiosity, in the photo of it there is what looks like a cable hanger above the headset, but that seems kinda odd considering it's vintage.

BikeSnobNYC said...

hellbelly,

Definitely holding onto that one; by the time I'm too broken to ride it hopefully one of my kids will be ready for it. The thing that looks like a cable hanger is a bottle opener Mike Ahrens gave me quite a few years ago; it's etched with my initials. *"BSNYC" not "TT.") I don't think I've ever used it, it's mostly a souvenir.

--Tan Tenovo