Monday, August 17, 2015

BSNYC Friday Fun Quiz on Monday and I'm Outta Here, Suckers!

All right, that's it I'm cashing in my chips:


(Disembodied hands pushing plastic discs to which are assigned monetary value across a green felt surface.)

So what's that mean?  Well, it means that after today this blog is going on High Ate Us until TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1st, 2025!

Sorry, I meant TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1st, 2015!

See, by faking you out like that I make the High Ate Us seem shorter than it actually is.

Don't worry, you'll manage.

In the meantime, you can rest assured that bicycles are destroying the very fabric of society, and the latest indication of this is that adorable pugs are now dying because of them:


After they had finally pulled the ferocious pit off of Sidney, the pug was left with a huge flap of skin hanging gruesomely from her ravaged neck. A man volunteered to drive Bayley and the wounded pooch up to the vet, Blue Pearl, at W. 15th St. and Fifth Ave.; but he couldn’t go crosstown due to the Summer Streets program, which had closed Fourth and Lafayette Aves. to traffic, so cyclists and pedestrians could enjoy car-free streets.

“The guy was screaming, ‘It’s an emergency! The dog’s dying!’ ” she said.

Look at them all enjoying themselves while a pug's life hangs in the balance, it's disgusting:


By the way, cycling with a helme(n)t but without a shir(n)t should be at least a criminal misdemeanor.  It's like wearing a condom while performing unprotected oral sex.

In happier news, Brooks is working on a new version of the Cambium saddle, and if you--yes, YOU!--would like a chance to become a tester then click here (or else on the picture below):


(They misspelled "Bacon The Rivet.")

Of course keep in mind that saddle testing is a risky business, so I assume Brooks will make you sign a waiver that says you can't sue them if you become impotent:


("So far it hasn't been a problem.")

I must say that I'm a tremendous fan of the Cambium (I use the C17):


Which is why I use one on each of my bicycles that has curved-type handlebars like they use in the Tour de France:


I know my equipment choices mean a lot to you, because of you read this blog for my incredible cycling prowess and not for the silly words and pictures.

Just kidding!


I suck at bikes and we all know it.

But I suck comfortably and stylishly, because I use a Cambium.

Speaking of bikes with curved-type handlebars like they use in the Tour de France, yesterday morning I was riding the Milwaukee one that you see above (which I still love, by the way) when I noticed this as I passed through Yonkers:


I'm not sure what happened, but I'd guess that the driver who caused this damage sideswiped this truck:


Veered across the street (note the tire tracks):


Mounted the sidewalk:


And then who knows.

Must have been one of those pesky stuck accelerator pedals you're always reading about.

Nicely done.

And now, I'm pleased to present you with a quiz.  As always, study the item, think, and click on your answer.  If you're right you'll know it, and if you're wrong you'll see when trees attack.

Thanks very much for reading, ride safe, and be sure to fritter away the remainder of August as frivolously as possible.

See you back here on Tuesday, September 1st.

I Love You,


--Wildcat Rock Machine


PS: Remember, as per my NYC Century preview last Friday, today's the last day to register for the ride before the price increase on the 18th!  I may even try to do the ride myself, pending the results of my B sample.






1) Mountain Goat Freds--it had to happen.

--True
--False






2) What is this symbol called?

--The Unisphere
--The Uniball
--The Globe-O-Tron
--The Hairy Hand of Fred-dom





(Putz.)

3) How many motor vehicle deaths are there annually in the United States?

--Over 3,000
--Over 30,000
--Over 300,000
--None, driving is the only safe and sensible mode of transport







4) "Griller le feu" is a French colloquialism meaning:

--To run a red light
--To win a Cat 6 sprint
--To salmon
--To get your pant leg caught in your chain







(To access bicycle, raise lock to your lips and blow.)

5) According to some tech blogger, drunk cyclists are just as dangerous as drunk drivers.

--True
--False






6) The World Speed Record by bike is approximately:

--223 kph
--138 mph
--Fred "Woo-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!" speed times three
--All of the above






7) Giuliano Calore is the king of no-handed riding.

--True
--False






8) Rodney Hines is the king of no-handed riding.

--True
--False




***Special Helme(n)t-Themed Bonus Video***

(Contains some NSFW language)

 

Those helme(n)t laws sure come in handy, don't they?

1,183 comments:

1 – 200 of 1183   Newer›   Newest»
Roille Figners said...

John Henry beats the machine!!!!!

Roille Figners said...

Diane Savino on my jock!

Roille Figners said...

Can it really be this easy?

Roille Figners said...

Ted K why don't you be a love and warm up my car for me, it's outside Diane Savino's place.

Anonymous said...

You always say you love me as you're leaving. That's nice. Guess I'll be here waiting for you.

Serial Retrogrouch said...

mondays quiz! i've already flunked

Anonymous said...

Toppus X

ken e. said...

magic eight ball!

Anonymous said...

Always a bridesmaid

P. Bateman said...

top tahahahahahahahahahn

(like a goat ninja)

N/A said...

2 weeks? What kind of horse shit is this? Who OK'd this? Get H.R. on the phone.

I eat my lunch and read BSNYC every day at work. I will now have a sub-par lunching experience, and I'm not one bit happy about it!



Wolf.

Bryan said...

Bonkers in Yonkers! Thanks for the tip on the test riding C13. Maybe I will get lucky. I do love my C17. Enjoy your Hi Ate Us. Luckily for me I will be traveling

Anonymous said...

memo to Babs: get a cruiser bike, slow down, fast bikes are probably too bumpy even; plus slower biking potentially appeals to the regular Joes/Josettes; Fredliness not so much. Check out Mikael Colville-Anderson for more info....

JLRB said...

Failed the Brookes survey - only available to gentlemen (or ladies)

Endo-King said...

DC bicycling!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2015/08/17/a-conversation-with-waba-about-bicycling-in-washington/?tid=hpModule_99d5f542-86a2-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394&hpid=z10

JLRB said...

Fughin Bloggers union and their vacation benefits

McFly said...

My boy was carrying my Stihl FS 56 straight shaft weedeater just like they are carrying that baguette on the rear of our riding mower to service a nearby residence. So anyway....one concrete mailbox later and BAM I am installing a new shaft tube on said weedeater. "I didn't mean to dad."

trama said...

WCRM,
if you are anything like me: used to ride in races and not come in last, invested in parts and wheels to come in 114th instead of 116th, etc. Then You Need More Spokes. Yep. I've gone full 36H. I cringe at the sight of your flimsy whealz.
Thanks,
Potbelly Sivasankar

NHcycler said...

@JLRB-

I know! I didn't know how to answer that one, either, so I flipped a penny(farthing) and chose one at random.

It must be Monday...it took me three tries to prove I'm not a robot...that last one was definitely Not a salad!

BikeSnobNYC said...

Trama,

I have Wheels With More Spokes. Both pairs of wheels in the pics Came With The Bikes. They have Not Yet Fallen Apart. So I might as well use them.

--Wildcat Etc.

the Jimboner said...

Speaking of "wearing a condom while performing unprotected oral sex" I survived the 4 day weekend in Rio by wearing 2 condoms at a time while...

Anonymous said...

Una pregunta my good friend, aren't the Ritte and the Milwaukee essentially the same bike?

BikeSnobNYC said...

Anonymous 1:14pm,

If you're a layperson then yes.

If you're a bike person then no. Milwaukee has medium reach brakes, fender eyelets, and a threaded BB shell.

--Wildcat Etc.

leroy said...

Happy High Ate Us BSNYC!

(My dog tells me that a note reading "Happy High Ate Us" was found among the Donner Party's effects and, years thereafter, fueled speculation that a beloved Disney Dwarf on bath salts was the root cause of the carnage.)

Ride safe all!

Jan! said...

Used to be a time when I could come to this blog for hard-hitting news and fair and balanced (without training wheels) reporting. Your fact-checking department now is more like slack-checking, knamean? Used to be a time when everyone knew the first of September 2025 would be a Monday, not a Tuesday.

Disgusted but nonetheless cordially yours,

Jan!

PS: Enjoy your vacation, you closet European, you.

Layperson said...

My apologies, I stand corrected. I'm so ashamed.

Anonymous said...

High-Ate-Us? The Hell!? At least the good people who comment here will keep me entertained these upcoming two (2) weeks. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Threaded BB? Seriously? Conspicuous and excessive consumerism that keeps America great. Keep up the good work.

BikeSnobNYC said...

Anonymous 1:35pm,

Bike bloggers with multiple bikes bringing America to its knees!

--Wildcat Etc.

Anonymous said...

Whew! for just a second there I though pugs were going to have to take the place of kittens everytime I rubbed one out. I'm a dog person. The thought of a poor defenseless pug having to die would have given me pause in which, undoubtedly, the moment would have been lost.

P. Bateman said...

i better return these 32 spoke wheels i just got. sounds like i may be in danger.

thank god i never used the 28 hole version (which are for sale if anyone wants some 650b road wheels...)

JLRB said...

Endo-King - Thanks for that DC link - chasing some of the wormholes lead to the piece explaining the cost of BikeShare expansion efforts those beastly bikes cost $1,200!!!

Very happy to see the Rock Creek Trail getting fixed - I hadn't been on it for a few years and regretted being on it a few weeks ago - if traffic hadn't been so heavy (and angry) I would have opted for the street ...

McFly said...

Did they get Pugsley circumsized? Did she loose 70% of the "feeling" in her neck?

At least she is more hygienic.

BamaPhred said...

Enjoy the offucking, avoid K2 high ate us inducing fake weed, and was Pierre detained for not having a helment, running from the fuck-tha-poleeze, thereby violating parole? I was not aware a 16 year old could be out on parole, usually. What with being a juvenile and all. This is all very confusing.

Anonymous said...

That video is outrageous, that many police for a kid?

For the first time ever I am starting to wonder if the right side won the War of Independence / rebellion in the colonies.

babble on said...

Master Bateman,
Most of the clubs here in town have a public as well as a members only FB page and Twitter feeds. Somewhere in there you are likely to find the classified board which everybody shares. Ours is called BC Classified. Just go to a local club and ask.

Anonymous said...

i didnt know patton oswalt was a part time LAPD officer
-6k

BikeSnobNYC said...

Anonymous 2:03pm,

If we'd never rebelled we'd basically be Canada--that is to say we'd be much better off.

--Wildcat Etc.

JLRB said...

I initially wanted to be an elephant, but it wasn’t going very well,’ said Thwaites. ‘I visited a shaman, and she said “you’re an idiot”. So, I decided to be a goat.’

Funny stuff - good thing he wore a helment - must have some valuable brains in there if he was able to get the gov't to fund that mountain High-Ate-US

Esteemed Commentor DaddoOne said...

cashing in your chips implies leaving the game forever. you're merely getting up to take a leak.....
DO NOT SCARE ME LIKE THAT AGAIN!

bad boy of the north said...

sir snob...enjoy your high ate us.i have a sneaky feeling there's going to be a lot of stale pizza and leftover beer at your manse whilst you're on holiday.again,enjoy.

Dooth said...

Baguette about it...I'm hungry.

babble on said...

Two weeks! Feels like ten years.
My boss just disappeared for a couple of weeks without saying a word to me before hand, so I get to choose people-riding-bikes related topics for the time being. Any suggestions?

I wish I could write for him what I want to write for spokeNscene... and speaking of: I finally posted the promised photographs of my spike and plate collection. Babble onanonanon is more like it, though. Prolly a response to the Ultra Tidy way with words of things at work.

P. Bateman said...

@babs - spank you very much for the tip. i was mostly kidding though. i havent tried the club route but i do make pretty good use of a certain online classifieds site.

its also a great place to check for true love...one hour at a time.

dop said...

WRCM-

Don't lift anything too heavy before September, or you'll get a hiatal hernia. (unless your doctor is a woman and she gives you a nervous cough)

babble on said...

But the club classifieds are a gem all their own. There are so many people selling the sweetest gear for a good deal. They're honest and up front cause everybody knows everyone, and it's a tight community. And love is everywhere, anyway. You never know. You might just meet a fit young frederica over a bike bit exchange. Unlike many CL transactions, the hot bit in this particular exchange would be the girl and not the bike.

P. Bateman said...

@babs - hmm...you make a good point. i wouldn't mind a "riding" buddy.

babble on said...

Everybody needs a good riding buddy or two. :)

PotbellyJoe said...

Was I the only one that read it as High Ate Yous and thought it was a spoonerism?

High Ate you too, Snob (I don't, just wish i could have two weeks off.)

Puglife > all else.

Spokey said...

although my first thought at a monday quizzling was "you lousy bastard", i did play along and surprisingly only got one wrong. maybe i should never study for a bsnyc quiz again.

trama said...

@ P Bateman between 130 and 2pm,
You prob don't have to worry. Heck, WCRM is right, rock those things until they pop. I've heard rim braekes are for losers anyways ;) I made the switch to overbuilt wheels because I have officially achieved at least a solid metric ton of USA fat guyness. I bend seat rails. I bend seat posts. I am too heavy for most things in the LBSs. Heck, I don't ride bikes anyways so nevermind.

Billy said...

Mom! Dad! When I grow up I want to be a Goat!

P. Bateman said...

thanks @trama. i wasnt actually too worried about it - was poking fun at whoever suggested anything less than a 36 is bordering on suicide. my rationale for a different set had more to do with an issue with the hubs and compatibility..or lack thereof. was easier to just order up new rims and hubs.

the fellows at pacenti wheels are really nice by the way.

Anonymous said...

"It's like wearing a condom while performing unprotected oral sex."

Once upon a time GF:

"I can't get sick swallowing that, can I?"

Me: No

GF: proceeds to barf her brains out.

GF: stares at me with an incredulous look.

Me: "I don't consider that getting sick."

Mom and Dad said...

I guess we'll have to call you Billy the Kid then.

balls™ said...

I see the no hand king all the time. He should probably get a unicycle, but he's pretty impressive.

Anonymous said...

September, no way I'll ever remember this URL by then. Oh well, strictly Babbleville from now on.

Anonymous said...

Pug lives matter deal with it!

What will I do without this blog said...

Tense and nervous and I can't relax

Spokey said...

P. Bateman at 3:21 PM

anything less than a 36 is bordering on suicide.

didn't know there was such a thing. special order wheels/hubs? or do you just lace 2 out of every 3 holes?

an old frat boy said...

Women get sick. Men vomit.

Unknown said...

Are we going to talk about the helment themed video too, or is it all just too depressing? Hard to find anything funny to say...

P. Bateman said...

@spokey - huh? 28 hole, 32 hole....

Spokey said...

facetious?

crosspalms said...

Sorry I'm late. I kept blowing the lock but nothing happened. So I tried the key. Bingo.
I guess Hi-8ers gonna Hi-8. Enjoy the Hi-life, Snob, and just leave the key under the mat as usual. We'll take care of the place, promise...

P. Bateman said...

@spokey - oh, i see now. i'm not just a slow cyclist, but a slow thinker too.

Anonymous said...

Got new wheels - cheap, probably not enough spokes (only 20 in front!), but came with creaks...

After 2 weeks, found the sound -- it was the spoke heads on the hub, fixed by oil.

After another week, I finally found the click in the left pedal threads.
The chain is newish. Tires are smooth. The deraileur does not rub

A quiet bike is like riding in nirvanna.

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

Stylishly..? Maybe.

comfortably..? Debatable.

Enjoy the summer vacay.

recumbent conspiracy theorist said...

69

Anonymous said...

To be human is to strive for a dream, if that dream is to be a goat, then that's going to save a whole bunch of striving.

babble on said...

I dunno. Being a goat doesn't come naturally to most of us. I mean, it's hardly a simple thing to change out your stomach in order to thrive on a diet of grasses and brambles. I can dream up a fair few occupations which require a whole lot less adaptation.

The Crook said...

Goat advocate, having a argument at a bar with a sheep enthusiast, "Oh Yeah? Well fuck ewe"!

DB said...

I'm here!
Took the day off so I had a few beers and got the chain saw out to trim some trees.
No helmet.
Have a great vacation, take photos and get the Fly6 back in action.

NationalStatistAgent said...


No thanks. Goats also eat poison ivy.

DB said...

Hey!
Jens Voight is on the Travel Channel 36 Hours Berlin showing people around.
Shut up legs!

JLRB said...

watching rerun of Jurassic Park Oiginal - sucked to be the goat in that one

Anonymous said...

I lace 2 out of 3 holes on my woman. She says my schrader will not fit in her presta so no way can I lace all 3. Prude.

Ella Fitzgerald said...

Little lambs eat ivy.

A kid will eat ivy too.

Wouldn't you?

dop said...

Does eat oats. Men Vomit.

Jkrb said...

Scranus

McFly said...

Well well it looks as though Bianchi should be expecting a letter from Sinyards attorney any minute now.

that's what she said...

......

Victor Kaminski said...

vsk said ...

Well it looks like I can say goodbye to Robot and Anonymity. Captcha does not work ... at work.

1/2 workaday day yesterday. Dr. and DDS. appts in the p.m. Dr says all my blood stuff looks good. ...then how come I feel like I bonked just getting out of bed ??
Now no new blogulations? Well, we can all fill in I guess. There's good comments in the comments and casual encounters section here.

Ms. Babble, you had me at locked in gimbled stare silently bouncing up and down on the trampoline !!

FondMaybe-
I choose the 1st 2 weeks of September to be off. Anywayze, just had a great weekend and now (because there must be 'balance') my port side trans is bleeding transmission fluid from the bell housing and bleeding trans fluid from ... "wherever". Just gotta get the Borg Warner 71C velvet drive rebuild kit, pull the trans from the motor and replace the seal. Could be an afternoon, could be a week. With my energy level??? Liberal use of liquid wrench to start.

Hopefully we'll get some here and there Snob visits. Maybe a few autograph signings.

vsk ... so much for anonymity!





dop said...

Lucky Cyclists in Russia Dodge Trucks


vsk...just start wearing one of these

VOR said...

"None, driving is the only safe and sensible mode of transport"-I suspect your chances of surviving a "tree attack" is notably higher while driving a car; or while riding a bicycle upon which you can actually look up.

JLRB said...

VSK aka Victor etc - I enjoyed the overly complicated selfie-stick videos! Is the Mobius suitable for bike mounting?

DOP - I wonder what they make trucks of over there - that thing just blew apart

Anonymous said...

Babbleville has a new post, many many pictures of her legs - Just Kidding

Pepe le Pew said...

Run a red light in France - sac de blue balls. Must have been some Yank who has duel citizenship.

BamaPhred said...

Scranus

Anonymous said...

Decided to watch paint dry (a.k.a. reading "A view from the cycle path") instead of BSNYC.....

Anonymous said...

Since you've been gone

Klaus und die Band said...

Time, it needs time to win back your love again
I will be there, I will be there
Love, only love can bring back your love someday
I will be there, I will be there

babble on said...

vsk - Chromium picolinate might be a good supplement for you. It is said to boost energy and cut appetite.

Just saw a video of a bear lounging in a North Vancouver backyard pool.

David Pearce said...

Damn it again!

The doctor has gone to the Hamptons, on I Hate Him.

Sorry, I meant I Hate Us..

See what I did there? By using the "correction" as a beard, I made it look like I don't really hate my doctor....

And my scripts need refills!

Going crazy again at the end of August.....

Victor Kaminski said...

vsk said ...

Holy crappy diem ! Lucky psyclists!

dop, can I 3D print one of those masks now??

JLRB, I really gotta click on the links to see what I've revealed !!!

The Mobius Action Cam is great so far. The website is DoubleU DoubleU DoubleU Dot Mobius-ActionCam Dot Comm. It's $95 with a 16gb chip if you get that option. They sell a bike mount but the camera comes with a slide in mount that has a lug / mounting nut on the bottom so any screw base should work.
I take the mount off and velcro it to a Blade 200QX drone thing that can handle a little wind.
The camera comes with software that allows you to do a lot like record inverted (if you mount it upside down like I do), loop record, use it as a web cam, dash cam, has motion sensing start, all kinds of time lapse photo options.
The website has a link to PayPal but the screen looks as if you're accessing PayPal Nigeria! But I got 2 of them and have been happy. They survived a few (drone) crashes on pavement (I don't know if I'd call them Babble Certified though).
I don't remember enough to know how it compares to Fly6 video. I think Fly6 is a bit more than combining a Mobius with a Planet Bike Blinky. It is also somewhat repairable I think.

Now I gotta see what's on my profile!

vsk

Victor Kaminski said...

vsk said ...

Yes Ms. Babble, I used to use that some time ago. I gotta see what's in the HydroxyCut I use as morning coffee.

Glad you've Spoken about your Scene !!

vsk

dop said...

3D printer? Nah, just print it out on regular paper & tie it on with a string. Those Bklyn hipsters will think it's ironic.

dop said...

3D printer? Nah, just print it out on regular paper & tie it on with a string. Those Bklyn hipsters will think it's ironic.

dop said...

dop is short for d'oh!

dop said...

century

Spokey said...

congrats dop

but let's talk to your legs about the double century!

Victor Kaminski said...

vsk said ...

Ha ! True dat dop. Lemme get some scissors.

Hey maybe we should cover Snob's desk in tinfoil or paint his office Panther Pink while he's away.

2 weeks to go? We might hit 600. Sexth Century?

vsk

babble on said...

Could you feel any improvement? Did you take it one per day as directed, or did you use a more, er... 'therapeutic' dose? Some things are just obvious. Like caffiene. You know when you're on it, you know when you've had too much, and you know when you're in withdrawl.

Actually, I think caffeine itself isn't necessairly addictive per se, not the way people assume when they suffer withdrawl from coffee. There is a lot of caffeine in Matcha, for example, and it is very energising in many ways, and yet it is nothing like the 'hit' you get from coffee. And even though I drink a strong matcha almost every day, (it directly replaced my coffee habit of yore) I can skip it for a day or two without noting any adverse effects. So it's not the caffeine you're addicted to when you drink coffee every day. It's the coffee itself.

Are the pros limited in the amount of caffeine they consume whilst riding? It's a proven performance enhancer, right? All sorts of things are legal and effective, and I assume there are some guidelines... mind you, most things, caffeine included, are self limiting.

I just picked up the Chromium Picolinate at the pain dr's suggestion. He suggested pot, too, by the way. Can I get an exemption from the ICU for riding doped on pot? I dunno. And even though the vapouriser is definitely safer than smoking, and better for your lungs, it can't be good. I know Ross Rebliati won gold with THC in his blood, but I can't see how it could possibly enhance performance overall. Never mind I prefer to be clean. But what about all of those damned prescription meds? Can't see any issues with nerve meds like gabapentin or lyrica, etc. But what about opiates? How long does it take for them to clear your blood? Pot is in your fat cells so it sticks round for AGES!! Like a month or something.

I ride as clean as possible, but I am a dirty girl at heart. I'd rather be clear instead of medicated any day, but if you are what you eat, I am a dope through and through. Sure dope is for dopes, but dope makes dopes, too.

OMG I heard that your hair contains traces of everything your body has ingested as it grew, that the hair growing in the folicle today is a blueprint of your blood today. If that's true, then mine reads like a pharmacopia. Cycling BC knows I am mutarded, but I didn't spell it all out in detail when I registered. And of course the club knows me well, but I just left it at that. Figured I won't have to actually apply for any of those Medical exemption thingies unless I actually start winning, and you have to race to win. I'll be lucky to get a few more crits in before cross season takes over the world, never mind actually winning anything else this year. (It's too bad that with all that is wrong with this body, my hormones are well balanced and I don't actually need an inhaler, either!! Why can't I have a condition that would confer some better-living-through-chemistry benefits?!)

Roille Figners said...

Just got back from Spoke'n'Scene & Victor's. Too late vsk, I seen yo' cargo-shants!! Seriously though is there ANY reason not to get a Mobius camera?
"I hate money and prefer to pay extra for the GoPro brand-name and silly 'old-timey camera' shape?"
"I like the more police-radar-gun-looking ones that cost $300 not including elaborate mounting hardware?" (looking at YOU Contour!)
Only conceivable reason might be if you were waiting for them to finally put out the Fly12 (front-facing). But who knows how long that might take.

babble on said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spokey said...

babs

try beets. before they are banned too.

and yes. some drug testing is done by testing hair. For example my hair is known to contain certain russian potato proteins.

JLRB said...

To nit pick - those poker chips do not appear to be in the process of being cashed in - it appears to me that nonplussed-bib-short-guy is pushing his chips all-in. I wonder if he has the aces... with the 4-7 I am holding I better fold.

JLRB said...

be warned - if you try beets, you may stain your sheets 9and I don't even know why)

Top said...

Here is an entertaining bit of bike news for ya'll.
A combination walking/electric bike

Victor Kaminski said...

vsk said ... (I guess I can do away with that as the NSA and everyone else has seen everything!)

Ms. Babble, a wealth of info here + in your post, muchos thankos! I have to look at the hydroxycut label.
I had a 5 hour energy once recently. Tasted like crap and really didn't give me anything besides a quick vitamin rush.

Roillee F -
I remember looking at some Go Pro video vs. the Mobius. I didn't see that much difference. The quality of my video off the chip is better than the YouTube video. Looks great on my friend's 60" TV on the wall.
Some of the RC guys like the GoPros because you can control them remotely via signal from a smart phone clamped to the transmitter. A little FPV / first person video. See the output and I think they also zoom? Not sure. The mobius is a bit lighter and is a great fit with the little 200QX drone thing.

When I'm on vacation I might try to put one on my handlebars and see how it goes. Although I will probably get video of some guy on an old Raleigh 3 Speed leaving me in the dust just like on the Fondon't!

Otherwise I don't know why I wouldn't recommend it. Not widely available? I don't think they are at brick + mortar stores. I can find them on Amazon. Other than that I am quite happy with it.

vsk

Fleeced of Foot said...

Have you herd of goats? If not, then don't feel sheepish. Just be glad you are not an escaped baby flock animal rapest, out on the lamb.

Roille Figners said...

Seems like it'd do fine in the un-glamorous role of a "documenting of the misdeeds" type camera. Brick & mortar - sheeeeeit, they've disappointed me too many times. And since I am like David Byrne only broker, it's not like when one store fails I just jump in the Hyundai that I don't lease and go to the next one. It's like miles through a suburban wasteland. The younger me probably would've considered that a fun part of the challenge... how many miles of suburban wasteland can I cover... they think they've got me but they don't (always with the "they")... that kind of thing. But now I'm like, "boo hoo," and reach for my mouse, keyboard and sippy-cup(*).

(*) a.k.a. commuter coffee mug, filled with my Give-A-Shit Juice

So Amazon it is. There was a wee bit of an online shitstorm on them BTW. The Times said it sucks to work there, about a billion current employees and probable paid PR flacks chimed in saying, no it's awesome... or at least better than it was. One thing's for sure: they all think I give a shit what it's like to work there. Well actually I suppose there does exist a level of employee abuse that would make me stop shopping there. Hmm, maybe the shitstorm is actually a war for share price.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!

Anonymous said...

saw a big clunky green steel bike on the path with double kickstand. mounted by a young gal sportin a plaid covered bern head protector. blocking the hole path going down the 180 degree turn coming off an overpass. passed. sprinted. looked back on uphill and she was right there. electric bike. twas meant to be

Dave said...

I'm so bored already... the summer is too hot and too long... when is it gonna be fall...

Here's a little ditty 'bout a man named Trump:

The Song of Mr. Trump by Dave Rockwell

(With abject and sincere apologies to the ghost of Kenneth Grahame and his descendants, if any.)

America's got politicians
All ready your hand to pump.
But none of them with the savoir-faire
Of the debonair Mr. Trump!

And Harvard has academicians,
their pointed heads in a clump.
But not one of them with the common sense
that God gave Mr. Trump!

The candidates stood at their podiums
and tried to kick his rump.
But when the dust had settled,
There grinned Mr. Trump!

Americans sit in their hammocks and cry,
“Our country's in the dump!”
Who is it sayin', “We'll be great again!”?
Encouraging Mr. Trump!

Now, political correctness
Off a pier can take a jump.
So says that highly courageous man,
The sagacious Mr. Trump!

And any female in politics
He'll rightly label a frump.
He'll call them crude, disgusting and rude,
The misogynist Mr. Trump!

His opponents, congenital idiots
as they step up on the stump;
Nary a man with a wonderful plan
Like that of Mr. Trump!

The Mexicans stand in the beanfields
and complain, and kvetch, and grump.
All because they were labeled as murderers
by the statesmanlike Mr. Trump!

There are those who will say that his brain is away,
And his head is a little too plump.
But The Donald just grins his bilious grin,
The oblivious Mr. Trump!

He says that he's bought the whole Senate
and the President's just a chump.
He's got the whole group up under his toupe -
The magical Mr. Trump!

The world has seen great Heroes,
You can wad them all up in a lump.
But they're just a fistful of zeros
Compared to Mr. Trump!

In objecting to young Ms. Kelly
His campaign might have hit a bump.
“That nasty old hag is on the rag.”
Said our gentleman Mr. Trump!

The Conservatives in his Party
Now call him a gigantic Hump.
But they're sadly mistaken if they think that he's fakin' -
The egregious, fabulous, monstrous, ridiculous,
Phantasmagorical, post-allegorical, American Avatar Trump!

David Pearce said...

To the previous comment, Wow!

Wonder what you can do when you're not bored! :-)

McFly said...

Jared is in a bit of a tight spot [insert footlong joke]

Anonymous said...

As I wandered with my trumpet
I came upon a busty strumpet
As I played the revelry
She did drop down to her knees
Sad and glad was I to see
She could blow much better than me

Victor Kaminski said...

My full name said ...

True all round Roille. I did not read the Amazon articles though.

I don't think there is a camera this small with these capabilities for this price. Maybe a RunCam. But I don't think it would serve in this capacity. I think the Mobius would survive a decent crash and if not the chip will still serve as black box recorder.

I flew a smaller 180QX off the dock and it bounced into the water. Floated and I was able to get it. The EFC 721 tiny camera was toast but the chip still had the data after salt water immersion. I remember some data chips were read after the 2004 Tsunami.

vsk

Anonymous said...

There is nothing funny about child pornography

BamaPhred said...

Jared, another hero goes down in flames. Maybe he and the Creepy Colonel can tag team advertise. "I got 'cher foot long right here!" he he he

Anonymous said...

Since Mr. Snob is not posting, I went over the the All Hail The Black Market blog and found this.

Its historical, its cyclo-crossal, and it is non helm(n)etal; seems like it is in the Snob's wheel house.

Anonymous said...

Oh, oh oh I'm on fire

dop said...

Thanks, anonymous 11:25

I liked the 1926 Cyclocross Race.

JLRB said...

VSK and RF - I see the GoPro (non-WiFi) has come down into the $130 range on Ama. But I am going to try the Movius bicycling package - since that is what I intend to use it for (mostly) and because it came with the back-up battery and big 64 GB card. I hope to do a cycling-touring weekend this fall and with that much juice and data space I could just let it rip for the day.

VSK - Is it correct to interpret your messages about the internal data space to mean the picture clarity is better when saved there vs on an SD card?

Anonymous said...

Bike Snob is still on twitter, as is M. Colville-(Putting the Fuck you back into status quo in urban design)-Andersen for example, who is posting far fewer blog posts, and a whole lot of blogs have disappeared, and Alley cat races are mostly dead......

Spokey said...

well i'm just disgusted by the turn of the comments as soon as snobbie takes holiday


so to try to get back to basics,

 boobies

   boobies

      boobies

Spokey said...

and

 scranus

   scranus

      scranus


pants yabbies

Anonymous said...

Welcome Bach!

Jared said...

Dang it. It's too bad I'm not black. Like Bill Cosby.

Roille Figners said...

Jared: Too weird. I find myself thinking about how sometimes you plead guilty even when you're not, just to avoid making it worse for yourself. Once you're in the teeth of the "justice" system it's pretty hard to get out. You might have to sacrifice your reputation just to avoid getting eaten. (It's gonna cost you something one way or the other.) Although the other possibility of course is that whatever they're bound to reveal in court is even more damaging and could land your ass right in the belly o'the beast!

Trump: Haven't been paying attention because, "Trump, you mean like Donald Trump? From the 80s?" But Scott Adams had some interesting comments.

Boobies: Yes, but not child boobies.

Jared said...

You only thought those TV pants were for my massive gut, they really housed my ginormous schlong. Now you know.

N/A said...

Jared, I understand that you're ending your career that same way as you started it: trying to get into smaller pants.

Frickus Rungus said...

Every time WCRM goes on vacation it's like a punch to the scranus... I get angry, then sad, then excited about the possibilities, then resigned to a long wait for more. Glad you guys are still here...

Time Traveller said...

That American style bb with the one piece crank is pretty cool. I was working on this old, old, old bike that needed some new bearings and races and well lo and behold nothing has changed, because today's 'off the shelf' parts fit a product that's got to be at least 70 years old.

Time Traveller said...

I wonder how long that standard has been around?

JLRB said...

SFW Pictures of Boobies

JLRB said...

McFly - Did you visit the DC Zoo while you were here? Did you leave a little something behind in the Panda ?

Spokey said...


couldn't be

mCfLY uses dik breaks

Pandabater said...

Wouldn't you want to have the job of collecting the sample from the male panda? Whatever job you have I'll trade

BamaPhred said...

Trump vs Sanders

Beats the usual assortment of establishment drones no matter your red/blue state affiliation.

And don't even get me started on yet another Bush. I'm like an ex-smoker on a crusade against smokers.


JLRB said...

Will we get a parallel to the Clinton, Bush, Perot 1992 election, with Trump undermining Bush?

Roille Figners said...

Oh man don't get me started Bamaphred - I thought we rebelled against fucking England to get away from these bullshit dynasties - Clinton I, Clinton II? Bush I, Bush II, Bush III? Fuck me gently!

Whoa, just got one of the old-fashioned "type the number" captchaz.

Pathetic Old Cyclist said...

Feeling abandoned by Snobby. I hope he's having a great time in Disneyworld, or where ever he goes with his seventeen kids. probably at a propagation convention with the Duggars.

Getting a bit politacal here, gents, talking of Bushes and Clittons and now T - Rumps. It could bet interesting before Snobby gets back. Let's not trash the furniture, though.

dop said...

JLRB said...

Will we get a parallel to the Clinton, Bush, Perot 1992 election, with Trump undermining Bush?

I think Trump has been undermining bush at the Miss Universe pageant for many years

Spokey said...


ya no

maybe i shouldn't say this, but i'm always here to help my fellow bloviators.

I accidentally clicked the Publish Your Comment the other day while the pick the steaks or pickups, or ice cream panel was showing and i hadn't clickled a damn thing. youse know what? it just posted anyway.

Pretty sure it happened again today. If this post shows, it is because I made damn sure I didn't choose any steaks. Of course maybe robot will intervene and not ask me. so here it goze.

Spokey said...



didn't even check the I'm not a robot box

plan on doing that again for this one.

Victor Kaminski said...

You Now Know Who said ...

JLRB, I gotta take a look at the 'orphan' / 'bastard' Go Pros. I am all up to here with Mobius (indicates waist high) though. I think Mobius is lighter, not sure. Not to be a weight weenie but the little foam things I fly have reallt limite gross takeoff weight.

Clarity - what I mean is the clearest / non-interrupted view comes from viewing from the hard drive. YouTube I guess makes the file smaller and on my connection it stalls sometimes and has less resolution. Reading from the chip on a tablet or something or from the chip in the camera via cable can mean sound cuts out (just buzzing propellers for me) or some blackouts. I copy the file to the hard drive and the video plays great although connecting the camera to my friend's 60" TV w/USB port was a blast.

Trump-A-Lumpa
You mussn't know the secret policy ingredient.
Debates and stuff gonna be fun! Something to piss everyone off!

vsk

JLRB said...

I'm with Spokey

Fuck-the-robot-police!!

Short-lived-rebellion - our scheme didn't work for me

Spokey said...



maybe i've not been posting enough. hard to believe but i'll keep posting until R. Daneel Olivaw gives me that positronic brain zap like humanity is going to get to make everyone lovey dovey

Peter G said...

Scranus

Pathetic Old Cyclist said...

hey, it works only if you use your Googling identity

Peter G said...

See???

Anonymous said...

neither Bernie nor the Donald ride bikes, though when you consider who does: Bush, Arnold, Ron Paul, Hillary and Bill, Kerry, Obama is doesn't seem to mean much...

Zen Master said...

Fuck! Do you know what I fucking hate? Fucking people who wave at me. What the FUCK is that all about? Are you fucking warning me about something? Are you fucking threatening me? Are you choking on a fucking Subway sandwich and need the fucking heimlich maneuver? Am I a fucking mind reader? I get so fucking angry with you fucking idiots! How would you like it if I ripped your fucking arm off and waved it in front of your stupid face! I'm so angry that my legs have gone numb!

babble on said...

The pandas at a zoo in China actually fake pregnancy regularly, and they do it well enough to fool the zookeepers every single time. Their bodies even play along. It has been happening for some time and is well documented. The clever pandas do it because a pregnant panda has an air conditioned suite and lots of lovely extra fruit and treats.

Dear Vancouver fred and fredericas: I need at least One More team mate on Sunday afternoon this weekend for the thirteenth annual Little One Hundred Relay. Fast, fit girls are most expecially welcome to join the team. I noticed last year that a fair few of the guys got all overconfident racing girls and we kicked some serious ass!

Any of you have some time to spare on Sunday afternoon?

Anonymous said...

BIKE SNOB IS A LOOSER BIKEING LOWERS SPERM COUNT
PS: DON'T FORGET BALL CANCER

babble on said...

ps - JLRB? Very lowbrow of me for sure, but I prefer the NSFW variety is all. xo

babble on said...

OMG I tried it, too! I hit publish without checking the box and robot let this admitted robot pass.

Victor Kaminski said...

vsk said ...

#RobotLi ... oh never mind, people will just interrupt my brunch (I never have brunch...)

Let's go roBotless and see wha hapon...

No, don't work for me.

vsk

babble on said...

Hmm. Odd. Sorry bout yer luck, doll.
Heh. But I'm not complaining!! :)

To bush or not to bush said...

I voted for bush then found out later that bush had gone extinct. Imagine my embarrassment. Now I find out that bush is making a comeback. I'm so confused.

Anonymous said...

Obama on a bike looked as awkward as Obama trying to shoot a shotgun. Please, just stick to smoking, basketball, and golf.

Anonymous said...

But Carter rode his Rivendell like a boss. Go figure.

dop said...

Bill: Do you like beer?

Monica: Yes, I do!

Bill: Andhowsyourbush? (snickersnicker/chortlechortleguffawguffaw)

dop said...

Obama on a bike less silly than Dukakis in a tank

dop said...

Bill: Tickle your ass with a feather?

Monica: I beg you pardon?

Bill: I said, terribly nasty weather!

McFly said...

I kind of hope Trump wins the presidential race just so we can see that dog-n-pony show of a train wreck that is him boarding/unboarding the Marine One Helo.

Not my DC panda love child. I been neutered. Sometimes it comes in handy and sometimes it doesn't. It's up to me.

BamaPhred said...

Ridicku-Dukakis is the all time winner winner chicken dinner of awkward.

P. Bateman said...

i'm 100% for Trump.

i hope to god he wins.

i also hope to god i can finish up this bike project soon.

i'm debating fenders. anyone else in florida using fenders? seems like they make sense in regions like the northwest where they get "mist" not rain. i figure down here if it rains and i get caught out in it, fenders ain't gonna make a difference. maybe i could put an inflatable raft in my bag. that i think would be more useful.

JLRB said...

Fenders are not just for keeping you dry

I found out the hard way it can be tricky to get them to fit, depending on frame and tire size etc.

dop said...


WCRM Fender PSA

P. Bateman said...

thanks JLRB - i guess i should always go ask sheldon first.

i did an install for a friend once - it nearly resulted in me tossing that heavy ass piece of shit off the balcony.

the bike was heavy, not her.

McFly said...

If I can squeeze a set of the Planet Bike 700c Hardcore 35 mm's onto a Raleigh Competition Crit bike you can swing it. There are so many times I am glad they are on there and you don't really notice them otherwise.

JLRB said...

DOP - I had not seen that one before - excellent!

Yes - don't be discouraged by my troubles with fenders - one of the many things related to bikes that I suck at ...

P. Bateman said...

i've definitely begun to realize the sheer suckitude of my mechanical abilities on this. but now i know...and i guess that is half the battle.

dop said...

Let's dork out completely:

Rivendell Fender Installation Video

It's the first demonstration I've seen of bolt cutters being used for legit purposes. It also verifies that the kits won't fit your bike without some modification.

JLRB said...

DOP - helpful video - wish I had all those spare bits for when the washers run off, etc. Not to mention the workshop set up ...

Victor Kaminski said...

vsk said ...

(Habit)

I gots some fenders... Stock as a rock - the ChinaSchwinn dock bike, the 56 Scwhinn Corvette. They are just there to add sheer weight.
Cooler - 58 Carlton Track/Path (Flyer?) white with Bluemels Club Specials (I think, the ones with the ridge down the middle that look like Raleigh Sports fenders),
70s Peugeot PX-50 teal green metallic FonDon't bike with hammered Lefol Martele 650Bs. And the steam punk science project Peugeot PA-10 531 main tubes - red metallic w red metallic Bluemels All Rounder fenders.
All fit pretty decent except for the Carlton where the rear looks elongated no matter what I do.

Toe overlap? Don't fucking pedal and turn at the same time and all will be fine!

Still have to put a chain on my red Peug. The dust gets thick.

Extra bonus lunch topic !
Where do you go, when you HAVE to go !?!
This morning an off off branch Chinatown bus "station" (empty room) bathroom was a comparative oasis !!

Carry on!

vsk

Victor Kaminski said...

I meant "off off brand" Chinatown bus station. Something like Lucky (if you get there) Bus Co.

Fung Wa is like Emirates first class service by comparison!

vsk

Anonymous said...

"going #1" at mcDonalds, walmarts, grocery stores, back alley dumpsters, trees, but occasionally in a water bottle stuffed down a pant leg almost anywhere....

dop said...

Please Clarify: Your own pant leg?

Anonymous said...

A bike was stolen in Portland yesterday, but except for the helme(n)t, the suspect description doesn't exclude many people: "thief was a skinny white guy, wearing blue shorts, black pants, sunglasses and a black bike helmet."

Anonymous said...

Awesome news! One cop in America is sort of helping bicyclists: In Tennessee, one cop is using a combination of bike sonar and a GoPro to catch motorists passing unsafely, then pulling them over and educating them on the traffic laws.

Anonymous said...

Bike Snob on Twitter (he's not really gone!) makes the sardonic comment that narrow focused (some might say incredibly anal) Specialized has come up with another micro-niche bike: The Lunch Ride Bike.

N/A said...

When I have to go, I take it to the office. Hey, these decorative planters in the hallway aren't going to piss in themselves, now are they?



Wolf.

Roille Figners said...

Oh my lord yes, imagine, as I'm sure many of you can, being of such an age that upon attaining voting age, one's introduction to American democracy consisted of Bush I vs. Dukakis. Some choice America, thanks for nothin! No wonder we got all crazy with the grunge music and the drugs.

Yeah fenders - they're not called filth prophylactics for nothin! It's not so much the water as all the shit suspended in it.

JLRB said...

Fenders or politics?

Is Trump a tax-raising Dem?

I generally think he is a buffoon, but I do like how he is shaking up the severely messed up Republican right

JLRB said...

Blue shorts and black pants?

wishiwasmerckx said...

Just booked my flight for the UCI World Championships in VA at the end of September.

Roll call. Who might I meet IRL?

dop said...

Trump? You'll have to bend his hair to stop it from rubbing the fork crown.

Roille Figners said...

That's funny, I just got done "rubbing the fork crown" also

Anonymous said...

Trump has survived a lot of controversies, and the April 1st joke that he was going to save Citi Bike was just a joke, but Trump Soho (hotel) has a partnership with Citi Bike (comp), big trouble (not really).

Anonymous said...

Fenders make riding AFTER the rain much better. During the rain, you either get damp from the rain, or possibly damp from your sweat inside your rainwear. Last winter I tried being prepared with my new bike poncho, which was dandy in a tailwind, slow in a headwind, and crazy in a crosswind.

If the roads are wet, use fenders.

scranus 195 said...

scranus 195

196 said...

196

197 said...

197

198 said...

198

199 said...

199

dop said...

my 2 cents

«Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 1183   Newer› Newest»